VLSI Architecture for Base Band Part of an Optical OFDM Transceiver
Ghanaatian Jahromi, Reza | 2012
- Type of Document: M.Sc. Thesis
- Language: Farsi
- Document No: 43795 (05)
- University: Sharif University of Technology
- Department: Electrical Engineering
- Advisor(s): Shabany, Mahdi; Salehi, Javad
- Optical Communication is a promising technology in access networks because of bandwidth hungry application like videos. So fiber Optic is an important candidate as a media in networks. There are different methods of modulation for transferring data through a channel. Among all, Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing is a method which used in most wired and wireless systems. Recent researches show that OFDM is also a good approach for optical communication.
In this thesis we concentrate on hardware implementation of digital part of an Optical OFDM transceiver. In the first step we ignore the effect of optical channel and design and simulate the transmitter and receiver. After that we propose hardware architecture for this transceiver. In the second step we consider fiber optic in our simulation and for compensation of the fiber optic, modify the receiver design. This receiver is also implemented in hardware. To verify the functionality of the designs, all of them were tested on ML605 as evaluation board of virtex 6 FPGA. Also the design is synthesized in CMOS 180 nm technology.
Synthesize results show that our architecture has higher clk frequency and more throughput compare to previous works
- Fiber Optics ; Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) ; Throughput ; Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI)Circuits ; Optical Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) ; Hardware Architecture