Glass-ceramics for cancer treatment: So close, or yet so far?
- Type of Document: Article
- DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2018.11.013
- After years of research on the ability of glass-ceramics in bone regeneration, this family of biomaterials has shown revolutionary potentials in a couple of emerging applications such as cancer treatment. Although glass-ceramics have not yet reached their actual potential in cancer therapy, the relevant research activity is significantly growing in this field. It has been projected that this idea and the advent of magnetic bioactive glass-ceramics and mesoporous bioactive glasses could result in major future developments in the field of cancer. Undoubtedly, this strategy needs further developments to better answer the critical questions essential for clinical usage. This review aims to address the existing research developments on glass-ceramics for cancer treatment, starting with the current status and moving to future advances. Statement of Significance: Although glass-ceramics have not yet reached their potential in cancer therapy, research activity is significantly growing. It has been speculated that this idea and the advent of modern glass-ceramics could result in significant future advances. Undoubtedly, this strategy needs further investigations and many critical questions have to be answered before it can be successfully applied for cancer treatment. This paper reviews the current state-of-the-art, starting with current products and moving onto recent developments in this field. According to our knowledge, there is a lack of a systematic review on the importance and developments of magnetic bioactive glass-ceramics and mesoporous bioactive glasses for cancer treatment, and it is expected that this review will be of interest to those working in this area. © 2018 Acta Materialia Inc
- Bioactive glass ; Biomaterials ; Cancer ; Ferrimagnetism ; Glass-ceramic ; Hyperthermia ; Magnetite
- Source: Acta Biomaterialia ; 2018 ; 17427061 (ISSN)
- URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1742706118306676