On the effects of landslide deformability and initial submergence on landslide-generated waves

Yavari Ramshe, S ; Sharif University of Technology | 2019

535 Viewed
  1. Type of Document: Article
  2. DOI: 10.1007/s10346-018-1061-6
  3. Publisher: Springer Verlag , 2019
  4. Abstract:
  5. This paper represents a numerical study on the effects of landslide initial submergence and its geotechnical and rheological properties on the characteristics of landslide-generated waves (LGWs) and landslide deformation. A number of 117 numerical experiments are performed using a two-layer Coulomb Mixture Flow (2LCMFlow) model on a real-sized numerical flume as a simplified cross section of the Maku dam reservoir, located in the Northwest of Iran. Three different initial locations are considered for landslide representing a subaerial (SAL), a semi-submerged (SSL), and a submarine (SML) landslide. Based on the numerical results, the majority of SMLs and in some cases SSLs generate tsunami waves with a larger wave trough than the wave crest. The maximum negative wave amplitudes of LGWs caused by SMLs (SMLGWs) can be up to 55% larger than that for SALs. LGWs caused by SALs (SALGWs) commonly have a higher wave crest than the wave trough. In 70% of cases, the maximum wave crests of SALGWs are larger than that for LGWs caused by SSLs (SSLGWs) and SMLGWs. While, in the rest 30% of simulations, the maximum SSLGW crests are up to 60% larger than SALGWs. Due to the landslide inter-phase interactions in combination with its basal and internal friction resistances, only 10–40% of the SAL initial mass contributes in LGW generation process. Energy transfer from landslide into water is about 0.5–7.5% for SMLs, 6–17.2% for SSLs, and 5–15% for SALs. The final deposit of SMLs generally has a short and thick profile while SALs and SSLs elongate more and travel longer distances. Finally, a Coulomb mixture product parameter, P CM , is defined to relate the maximum LGW heights to the considered landslide properties. © 2018, Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature
  6. Keywords:
  7. Coulomb mixture ; Dam reservoir ; Energy transfer ; Landslide-generated wave ; Numerical simulation ; Tsunami ; Computer simulation ; Deformation ; Mixtures ; Reservoirs (water) ; Tsunamis ; Dam reservoirs ; Friction resistance ; Generation process ; Landslide deformation ; Landslide-generated waves ; Numerical experiments ; Phase interactions ; Rheological property ; Landslides ; Coulomb criterion ; Dam ; Friction ; Numerical model ; Reservoir ; Rheology ; Submarine landslide ; Submergence ; Tsunami event ; Wave energy ; Wave force ; Iran ; Maku ; West Azerbaijan
  8. Source: Landslides ; Volume 16, Issue 1 , 2019 , Pages 37-53 ; 1612510X (ISSN)
  9. URL: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10346-018-1061-6